Harrogate is a town full of history and architecture. Established in 1571 as a Spa town, it was known as “The English Spa” in the Georgian era and leading destination for European High Society. Harrogate was a favourite health destination for Queen Victoria.
Geographically it is the centre of the UK and is a popular visitor destination and Conference and Convention town.
There are many places to visit in the Harrogate Town and surrounding area:
- Betty’s World-famous Tea Rooms established in 1919 famous for Afternoon Tea and “Fat Rascals”.
- Valley Gardens Harrogate English Heritage Grade II listed parkland, themed gardens & historic buildings.
- Parliament Street known as “The Kensington of the North”. Harrogate is a shopper’s paradise. Its cosmopolitan café lined streets are awash with elegant boutiques and high-end retailers.
- The Royal Hall Grade II listed performance hall and theatre, The “Kursaal” was built in 1903 by Samuel Fox has been lovingly restored. Tours are available.
- Over 50 top class restaurants and bistros.
- Turkish Baths & Spa Victorian Turkish baths designed in the Moorish style with Italian floors and Islamic Arches, famously visited by author Agatha Christie when she disappeared in 1926.
- RHS Harlow Carr Established on 1950, these beautiful gardens offer gardens and trails, a log maze, RHS shop and Betty’s tea rooms.
- Ripley Castle & Gardens The owners, the Ingilby family have owned this wonderful 14th Century Grade I listed home for the last 700 years.
- Knaresborough Castle, Market Place & Mother Shipton’s Cave: This medieval market town is situated 3 miles from Harrogate and offers a plethora of historical sights.
If you want to travel farther afield, here are some places to visit in Yorkshire:
- Flamingo Land theme park and zoo, the 12th most visited theme park in Europe
- Lightwater Valley theme park with over 40 rides for an action packed family day out
- Only 40-50 miles from the wonderful family beach resorts of Whitby, Filey and Scarborough
- York Dungeons depicting 200 years of grizzly history – We dare you to visit.
- Newby Hall and Adventure Gardens: located near Ripon, the Georgian Hall has 25 acres of award winning gardens, miniature railway, restaurant, shop and adventure playground/
- Harewood House & Harewood Bird Garden 18th century house with art exhibitions, farm experience, 100 gardens & Bird House home to many endangered species and Humbolt pengujins.
- Tropical World Located at temple Newsome near to Leeds, this indoor wildlife park houses meerkats, butterflies, reptiles, monkeys. tropical plants and more.
- Fountains Abbey National Trust owned Cistercian Monastery & Deer Park at Studley Royal near Ripon.
- Bolton Abbey Located in the heart of the Yorkshire Dalesnear Skipton. Walks, Views, Activities, Restaurants & Cafes, Gift Shops & Tearooms for a great day out.
We can accommodate your planned tour for your visit to the area. Providing saloon vehicles or minibus transport for up to 8 passengers, we can work with your itinerary taking you between destinations over two or three days from your Harrogate accommodation.
Get in touch for a quote.